2021 Community Foundation Priorities
The Board of Directors of the Community Foundation of Otsego County invites applications from Otsego County nonprofit organizations. We want to channel the creativity, know-how, and responsiveness of nonprofit organizations to build their capacity to address the priorities revealed in the CFOC community survey and the COVID-19 Community Needs Assessment Update prepared by Opportunities for Otsego (OFO).
What do we mean by capacity building?
- Supporting efforts to meet increased needs.
- Adopting new methods of serving existing constituencies.
- Experimenting with new ideas.
- Trying new methods to deliver services.
- Identifying and meeting the needs of underserved segments of the community.
- Enhancing communication capabilities to reach constituents.
Collaborations among nonprofit organizations are encouraged.
We invite applications by Otsego County nonprofit organizations that expand their ability to address one or more of the following priorities:
- Meeting Immediate Human Needs
- Addressing the increase in food insecurity with new approaches to include expanding the food safety net, building collaboration between local producers and communities, offering solutions to “food deserts,” supporting farmers markets, and/or other strategies.
- Focusing on the increased need for housing by encouraging new low-income housing projects, supporting affordable residential projects (including conversion of abandoned properties), addressing needs of people who are homeless, and/or other strategies.
- Promoting Economic Development
- Projects that inspire entrepreneurship, business incubation, collaborations that support small businesses, job skill development, and/or other strategies. (While the need for high-speed broadband throughout Otsego County was identified in the Community Survey, achieving this important goal is beyond the scope of this 2021 award round.)
- Addressing one (or more) of the following priorities identified in the Community Survey
- mental health,
- access to quality childcare,
- lack of transportation,
- substance abuse,
- the arts,
- social isolation of the elderly,
- women’s issues,
- addressing the needs of undocumented immigrants, and
- revitalizing downtowns.
We envision a community that provides healthy, prosperous, and enriching opportunities for all. Please explain if and how your proposal addresses issues of equality and promotes fairness. If your program or your organization has a statement on this topic, we would appreciate your sharing with us.
What We Fund with 2021 Awards
- Existing 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations operating within Otsego County, New York
- Groups fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization are eligible but must submit evidence of the sponsorship (funds will be disbursed through that sponsor, which must also provide the identifying information requested in our application).
What We Do Not Fund with 2021 Awards
- capital projects
- fundraising aid
- direct grants to individuals
- direct grants to businesses
- The Community Foundation has allocated up to $200,000 for this award round.
- Awards may be requested in any amount.
- Awards of $10,000 or less will be reviewed by our Initiatives Committee and approved by our Executive Committee. Requests exceeding $10,000 will be considered in a special category and require the additional approval of our full Board.
- There are no deadlines and applications may be submitted until funds are fully committed.
- While general operating support cannot be the focus of the award application, up to 10% of each award budget can be allocated for general operating support.
- To submit an application, click here.
- There are still grant monies available in the COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Fund. Please use this application to apply for awards from that fund.
Awards to Date None 2021
- Please answer all questions.
- If an award is offered, funds will be disbursed upon written acceptance of our award and compliance with any conditions of the award.
- We request a report be submitted on the use of award funds. Reports must include metrics on what the program or activity accomplished, evaluations of how it performed in comparison to expectations, lessons learned, and what changes will be made if the program continues. Reports for prior awards are required before new applications will be considered.
- Applications must be submitted online.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
If you have any questions about the application or awards round, we are glad to help. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. At this time, the Community Foundation of Otsego County is working remotely; please, no phone calls.